Health Tourism became a global trend because of the value it provides to millions of people that each year travel abroad for possible health or wellness solutions. IMG Punta Cana was developed to become a top center for those looking for a high-quality and cost-effective alternative.
As we have discussed previously, the Dominican Republic is steadily working towards becoming the Caribbeans top choice for medical services like plastic surgery, dental, weight loss surgery, orthopedic, cardiovascular treatment, preventive health, and other services.
A study conducted in 2015 by the Dominican Political Observatory indicates that the island receives 20 thousand Health Tourists each year. Unofficial stats suggests that nowadays it has increased at least two-fold.
The Medical Tourism Association latest published a report in 2017, titled Medical Tourism Index, which conveys some interesting insights:
- There are 11 million medical tourists per year
- Growth is up to 25% per year
- 3-4% of the population travel for health-related purposes
- People get interested in the high-quality medical treatment abroad, attractive destination, and reduced cost
- The Health & Wellness Tourism is a 100 billion USD market
- The Dominican Republic ranks 5th in the Medical Tourism Industry and 22nd on Destination Environment
These numbers are imposing taking into consideration that the Caribbean country is only getting its feet wet in this particular industry. However, it is already competing with experienced health tourism spots like Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.
Punta Cana: The Tourism Powerhouse
Lasts years stats revealed by the Dominican authorities shows that out of the 6.2 million tourists, 3.6 million chose Punta Cana International Airport. Moreover, as of September 2017, Punta Cana-Bavaro registered the highest hotel occupancy rate of all tourists hubs at 87%.
Punta Cana is by far the tourism powerhouse of the Dominican Republic. Casa de Campo and Cap Cana are two of the best luxury resorts in the region. Each year, they receive multiple travel and tourism awards from international organizations, serving millions of tourists from the United States, Canada, Latin America, and Europe.
The idea of constructing a high-scale health center in Punta Cana hit the right spot at a perfect time.
International Medical Group Punta Cana opened for service last summer. Local media reported that the private infrastructure investment reached 80 million dollars.
An IMG Punta Cana post on their website’s About Us section states:
“IMG was built with state of the art technology following international standards and standards from de ministry of health of the Dominican Republic, which guarantees local and international users and optimal, efficient and timely medical attention. We offer over 30 specializations, a comfortable medical spa, an executive exams clinic with a fully equipped imaging area…”
Recently, IMG signed an agreement with the Santo Domingo Technical Institute (Intec), to propelling Telemedicine in their facility.
5 Things You Should Know About IMG Punta Cana
- Location: Boulevard Turístico del Este Esq. Cocotal, Punta Cana. A 15 to 30-minute ride from Punta Cana International Airport.
2. It holds international and local accreditations from the Medical Tourism Association and the Dominican Health Tourism Association, respectively.
3. The health center offers 30 medical services and specialties.
Plastic surgery, dental, and weight loss surgery are the most popular treatments amongst foreign patients.
4. IMG Punta Cana has an international insurance and public relations department opened 24/7 for their health tourists, which offers assistance before, during, and after medical service.
5. Carlos Prato is the President of International Medical Group Punta Cana. “We want to be a medical tourism reference and contribute to the official goal of 10 million tourists per year while benefiting our economy and creating new jobs”, he pointed at the opening ceremony.