Banco Popular Dominicano (BPD) is considered as the Bank of the Dominican Tourism and has shown its commitment to developing and finance Medical Travel in the Dominican Republic.
“We are very interested in supporting health tourism, we understand that it is a segment not only of great potential but also of a lot of added value,” said in 2016 René F. Grullón, Executive Vice-President of Enterprise Businesses and Investment.
In that sense, Banco Popular has reaffirmed his backing to medical travel with their sponsorship of the 4th International Health and Wellness Tourism Congress to be held on September 5-7th in Santo Domingo.
At the congress, the bank hosts the investment lunch that gathers local and international investors along with developers of new projects, financial, health, tourism, export, and governmental sectors.
On behalf of the institution, Juan Manuel Martín de Oliva García, vice president of Tourism Business of the Banco Popular, will present the Financial Products and Investor Support products available.
The luncheon has the support of the Center for Exportation and Investment of the Dominican Republic (CEIRD) and the National Free Trade Zone Council (CNZFE).
Furthermore, the purpose of the investment lunch is to promote innovation, public-private alliances, and creating investment opportunities in new projects related to medical tourism, retirement tourism and free trade zones for medical devices.
Banco Popular Dominicano invests in medical travel and tourism
Banco Popular has financed, whether partially or totally, medical projects like the Metropolitan Hospital of Santiago, HOMS, Medicalnet, Grupo Rescue, Plaza de la Salud General Hospital, and Cedimat.
“The Dominican Republic is ready to position itself as an excellent medical tourism destination,” said René F. Grullón in an interview for the economic newspaper El Dinero.
Mr. Grullon supports the vision of the Dominican Health Tourism Association towards working to get more international certifications to Dominican medical centers
He made it clear that medical travel is not only about infrastructure but also about the medical staff specialized in the best universities in the world.
Banco Popular Dominicano has almost 60% of the finance portfolio that the tourism sector receives.
They closed 2017 with a loan portfolio of US$ 800 million to support tourism development, which includes Medical Travel.
The Bank of Health in the Dominican Republic
Banco Popular’s experience in offering financial facilities to the tourism sector dates back to the 1980s when that sector began to develop in the country.
In the last 11 years, it has granted financing for more than US$ 2,000 million for the construction, completion or development of hotel rooms and the tourism industry in general.
- The bank sponsored the 3rd International Health and Wellness Tourism Congress in 2016. Mr. Rene Grullon participated as a keynote speaker.
- Sponsored the Investment Breakfast of the Congress.
- Participated at the 8th World Medical Tourism Congress, held by the Medical Tourism Association.
- Supported the Dominican Republic Health and Wellness Destination Guide.
- Provided financial assistance to the main health centers of the Dominican Republic to improve infrastructure and technology, for the benefit of thousands of local patients and medical travelers.
- Its bancassurance services include personal accident insurance, life insurance, and complementary insurance plans covering hospital stays and related medical costs.
- Has 145 branches and 344 ATMs, the broadest network in the country.
BPD is a subsidiary of local financial group Grupo Popular and offers a range of financial services and products such as checking accounts, savings accounts, credit and debit cards, loans, investments, and insurance.
Banco Popular Dominicano is not only the Bank of Tourism but has clearly shown that it is also the Bank of Health in the Dominican Republic.